So the holidays are over, and it’s high time I got back on track with the whole posting thing. I’ve been reading semi-regularly and am currently about halfway through Nehemiah.
Since I didn’t get around to posting much over the past few months, I covered a lot of reading without saying much. I’ll do a quick recap from what I can remember… I think my last mention was of First Kings…
- Chronicles and Kings complement each other and basically cover the same (very long) chunk of history. Kings is insanely hard to follow because it keeps jumping back and forth with each generation between the royal lineage of Judah and Isreal. Chronicles only follows Judah, so it’s a little easier to follow. When I get the chance, I would love to go back and actually do a timeline to lay out the rules, cuz I think it’d be interesting to see.
- Comically enough, this read through is the first time it actually DAWNED on me that Israel and Judah were two separate kingdoms and had two separate lines of kings… how on EARTH did I miss that the first two times I read the old testament?? I’m aghast, but it really does make the rest of the Bible make a LOT more sense! lol.
Let’s see, what else…
- Some REALLY cool stuff happened in the stories of different prophets — peppered here and there through the four books — a lot more than just the few things we hear taught about. I’ll have to go back and make a list of them at some point.
- I developed a much greater respect for Solomon – I always had a kind of mild disdain for him, not quite sure why.
- There’s a very beautiful prayer for the dedication of the Temple in 1 Kings 8 — very much worth the read, it made me cry – I think it’s repeated somewhere in Chronicles too.
- Reading about Elisha and Elijah this time around gave me the distinct impression that Elisha was like a puppy dog following Elijah around … :)
- not much I can think to mention about Ezra right now
- I’m about halfway through Nehemiah, and all I have to say right now is that the wall of Jerusalem was one ENORMOUS wall lol.
I’m trying to get back on a daily or bi-daily posting schedule from here on out, here’s hoping I manage :)